Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Kindle Krazy

Okay. I've had my Kindle now since last August and I would have thought the obsession would have passed by now, but it hasn't. I was a voracious reader before and now I'm reading more than ever before. Is there a word out there that means more than voracious? In fact, even though I have an entire bookcase filled with regular books that I still haven't read - I can't read regular books anymore. The type is too small, the resolution isn't as good, I need two hands to read, reading in bed is next to impossible without being propped up and keeping my husband awake. You get the picture.

I'm reading more fiction, more non-fiction and heck I'm even going to try the free cookbook! I've stashed all my free classics from www.Feedbooks.com (The Last of the Mochicans, The House of Seven Gables, The Vicar of Wakefield, etc.) on the SD card and I am toying with the idea of branching out to magazines.

I have to admit I was a bit peeved that almost immediately after the Oprah show (which drove me to finally actually purchase my Kindle in the first place), the Kindle 1 sold out and rumors of the Kindle 2 became stronger. I couldn't help but think that Jeff Bezos had used the Oprah show to sell out the first version so that Amazon wouldn't get stuck with excess stock before launching the Kindle 2. So I was absolutely not going to buy the Kindle 2 under any circumstances. When Kindle 2 launched I was glad I hadn't because I am probably one of the few users that use the extra SD card and had no problems with the side page buttons. But now, there's talk about a touchscreen version coming in late 2009 which will be very tempting.

About the only books I won't use my Kindle for are art/coffee table books and those books with high color graphics. Other than that - the sky's the limit.

Go out and buy one for yourself, for your significant other, your spouse, and your kids. Anything that gets America reading again is worth the investment.

No comments: